Java and Mono

I am a "Java guy": search for "Java consultant" on any major search engine, I am the first non-paid-for link. I think this is because of my writing, but I am not sure.

While I think that server side Java is the greatest thing going (for server side development), I also find many other programming languages to be very productive: Common Lisp (and Scheme) and Smalltalk for research on new algorithms, etc., Python for small tasks (I have never used Python for large system development, although using Zope/Plone as a proof of concept, Python obviously is good for large projects), Prolog for search and NLP, etc.

I tried the Mono 9.x beta framework on Mac OS X a few weeks ago, and thought it looked OK. As we "speak", I am downloading the 1.0 DMG for the Mac - maybe I will kick the tires tonight if I have some time.

I think that the "Microsoft patent issue" with Mono is worrisome, but technically I think that the Mono project is very worthwhile.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller