The death of an Open Source Project

Kind of sad: my web based knowledge management system will not be released under a GPL license.

My customer who has been giving me a generous GPL development grant decided that they really wanted to own all of the rights to the project and made me a deal that I could not refuse. They are also buying non-GPL licenses from authors of a few GPLed components that I am using.

I am disappointed, but I felt that I had to make the deal for financial reasons. Anyway, I am really enjoying the project, and I will still get to work on it for a long time (and under a better financial arrangement).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller